Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Ten Websites to Linger On

A very good way to gain more knowledge of design is to browse through the web's many design sites. It is both informative, and quite inspirational. Let's take a look, shall we?

Above is a screenshot of the website of the design company called Glass innovations. This is a great site to look through--especially for people, like me, who have an infatuation with glass. They show their various projects, which include glass furniture, lighting, and even glass architecture. I would really like to explore the different uses for glass and crystalization in the near future. It is a beautiful material and has great conceptual potential.


When surfing through this site, one gets a sense of femininity while looking at the various rooms that were designed. The Design Firm like very luxurious rooms. Some would say they are overdone. Some would say they are just right. I guess it is just a matter of opinion. As far as the website goes, though, it is very easy to navigate through. It has a very attractive appearance and soothing colors. Overall I am pleased with their webdesign and contents.



The words "stately" and "sophisticated" come to mind when looking at the designs of I. Michael Interior Design. When I look at their pictures, I like the way they use diffused, accented lighting. This goes great with the theme of dark colors they use in their designs. Despite the great designs, I feel like the website is lacking something. I can't quite put my finger on it, though. I feel like maybe the layout is too simple--almost boring. This contrasts greatly with their type of designs, which are subtle, but definitely not boring. I think maybe they were trying to go for the sophisticated look; however, I feel they could have "beefed" it up a little without taking anything away from their designs.

I really enjoyed looking through the website of Balongue Interiors. I admire their professional layout. When one clicks on one of the categories either on the right-hand side or the top of the page, a window opens with many thumbnails of a lot of work they have done in that category.
Balongue Interiors, which is located in Villanova, Pennsylvania, doesn't have just one style of designing. They have a variety. When surfing through their many pictures, I noticed both very sleek, straight lines. I also noticed very organic and wavy lines. I noticed monochromatic and classic color themes. And then there are dramatic color themes in which the color pops out. I have found that one of the many things that makes a good designer is the ability to have variety.


This site doesn't look like it was thought through well. When I got to it, the first thing I saw was a LOT of writing. When people look at a website--especially a design website--the first thing their eyes should be drawn to is something that was designed well. That may be either a picture of their work, or even the layout. Their has to be some amount of interest in order to keep the viewer looking at their work. Once I got past the dissappointment of the website, I started looking at the firm's actual work. I wouldn't even call them designers. Decorator is a better term. In order to spice up a room, they change strictly what is on the surface. Their is an abundance of stenciling used and cheap-looking furniture. Looking at work like this makes me proud to be in the program that I am in. I know that even though I know much failure will come from me in the future, so will success. The knowledge that I will learn will take me far beyond these decorators and show me a perspective of the world that they cannot even begin to fathom. (wow. i'm harsh)


On a lighter note, this firm's work is very delightful. Laura Day Designs uses fun, pastel colors and lots of geometric shapes in their designs. They are innovative and have a slight whimsicle vibe. Bravo

www.innovationsid.com/#

The layout of this website was well thoughtout. I like the homey vibe of some of Innovation's designs, however other designs of theirs lack a sense of being well thought out. Sure, they put together furniture that was manufactured to go in the same room. But their was no thought process behind a lot of their designs. Once again, I would call them decorators. They merely pay for the furniture, place it in the room, and that's about it.

www.davidmichaelmiller.com/port.html


This is an entertaining website. I enjoy the ecclectic vibe I get from the interior spaces designed by Daved Michael Miller. They are inspirational to look at because he takes design elements from different cultures and incorporates to his work.



This firm is called Pineapple House Interior Designs. The colors and materials they use for their interiors are classic and charming. I adore designs that make me want to jump through the computer screen and actually be in the room. That's when you know it was well designed.


Tucker and Marks Designs use Itailian design as their inspiration. I like the warm colors and accented lighting. This really makes me excited about the study abroad program. I think looking at different countries for inspiration is a great idea. Oh, third year cannot come soon enough!

No comments: