Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Hatchery | Concept Research



The above three images were all from http://www.insider-worldwide.com/interior_design_london_tours/

The three images above remind me of the renaissance festival that I visit every fall in Huntersville. The top image reminds me of a castle. The two bottom images look organic, woodsy, and handcrafted. I think this might be a good concept for the Hatchery because the “Renaissance” times were filled with artisans, all collaborating and working together to create new works of art, which is what the hatchery is all about. We are creating this space to expose the very talented artisans within the walls of UNCG to the rest of the Greensboro community.

Material-wise, I want the walls to be gray brick, with predetermined shapes at regular intervals cut out in it and lights (light the picture above) will be placed within them. This might be just one band on the wall near the ceiling, and maybe angled up at the ceiling. I don’t want that detail to compete with the artwork being sold within the retail space. The grey brick walls loosely symbolize castle walls and the materiality within these walls will be a woodsy, organic feel. I don’t want this to be too renaissance-themed, but I do want it to have the same feel with materiality and shapes used within the space.



No comments: