Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A Home for my Pencils


The assignment was to design a place to put our pencils. This was my first iteration. I wanted it to have the leaning sides and mosaic-feel. Even though it looks pretty cool, it ended up being very fragile.

This was my next attempt. It definitely looks more structurally sound. I completely ditched the mosaic look of it and decided to focus on the geometric quality and cool negative space that is present here. When I was finished, though, I missed the leaning sides. I also thought the matt board at the bottom was too big of a base.


These last three pictures are my final iteration of this project. The precariousness is back from the first project with the diagonal sides. The base is still there, but is smaller and simplified to one color. Overall, I think this is my best project yet. Its amazing how some ideas seem to work out so well and then others crash and burn. I'm learning to be more okay with the crashing and burning ideas, though. There's definitely some improvement in my work ethic.

No comments: