Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Memory of Musical Performance

This assignment was to design a container for a memory. At first, lots of people, including myself, were confused how you can "contain" a memory in something. Then we came to realize, with Tommy's help, that it doesn't necessarily have to be a box, per say, but something that is reminiscent of that memory. It has to evoke the same feeling that the memory had.

My memory was not just one memory, but a series of memories. Back in high school, I was known as the piano girl. I played for many different functions: recitals, plays, graduation, seminary, chorus concerts, etc. I wanted to design a container to show how when I was playing the piano, I felt isolated from the audience, but still connected to them. I was connecting to them through music.
This is the first iteration. I was basically trying to get the form and test out different materials. I used matt board for the circles, and tissue paper as the connectors between the two. The circle in the middle is supposed to be me. It is surrounded by the "audience" and the two of us are connected by "music." Good idea, but needs work.



This is the final product. I made it a couple times before, but they all turned out the same. The material that I used for the circles was a felt-board material. Part of me wishes I could have found something more sturdy. The other part of me likes the fact that it can bend and move because when you bend it, the ribbons--or "music"-- stretches with it and remains connected. I thought that was kinda cool--and fun to play with. I like this iteration a lot better. The inside of the middle circle, which is supposed to be me playing the piano, has ribbon twisting and turning on the inside. They shoot out of the middle and connect to the "audience". There are two different colors of ribbon to signify the right and left hands while playing piano. The silver ribbons, which are placed at equal distances from each other, are the left hand because that is the hand that maintains a steady beat. The gold ribbon is the right hand. It is the melody that weaves in and out of the silver.

Overall, I think this project worked out all right. I just need to get more creative. Sometimes I feel like I'm falling behind the rest of the class. But something tells me mostly everyone feels like that.

No comments: