Friday, October 12, 2007

Metamorphosis::When Two Projects are Fused Together

Hello, world..
The title of this post is very self explanatory. We were to take one project from the person on each side of us on the alphabetical listing of students. The two people whose projects I had to combine were Kara Petrisco and Jessica Crews.


This is Jessica's memory box. I really liked the way the two boxes fit together.


Here is Kara's memory box. The qualities I liked about this box were the dangling mosaic-like squares of foam board. I really wanted to incorporate that into my project.



[thumbnails]



These were my first ten sketches for my project. I finally chose the very last thumbnail sketch as my project.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Karsicca"


This is my version of a perfect fusion of Kara and Jessica's projects. The colors came from Kara's project. All of the hanging pieces of foam board were red except for one piece, which was yellow. I wanted to give that same feel to my project; the red overwhelms the yellow squares. The shape of my box came from Jessica's project. the yellow fits into the red like a puzzle piece. as well as the material (foam board.)
________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Jossica"






The next part of the assignment was to create two more "fusions". These were to be of my project and the other two. For instance, I had to create a prototype of a fusion between my new project and Kara's (and the same with Jessica's.) First was Jessica's.This one has the same colors as Jessica's, which is nowhere in the other projects. I actually got the idea for this project from Tommy. After he suggested it, I wondered why I hadn't thought of it. When you think about things too hard, your brain kind of shuts down and you are blind to the obvious.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Karsie"

This last project is a blend of my project and Kara's. I sat down and sketched out different things that had qualities of both of our boxes. I settled on one and started working. I wanted to keep the hanging foam board idea, only I switched the shape of it to reflect the shape of my box and the "puzzle-like" quality.

This project as a whole taught me that designers are always inspired by other designers. They take ideas from their fellow designers and make something new out of it. There was a lot of talk about the "essence" of a project. I never really got what that meant untill this project came around. It is breaking a piece of work down to its bare minimum and figuring out why it is special. Design truly is a beautiful skill.


No comments: